Friday, April 9, 2010

Read-a-Thon Plans

Before I saw the post inviting participants to talk about Read-a-Thon plans, I didn't think I had any. I was just gonna dive in and go. But upon reflection, I realized that I've been putting things in motion for a little while now.

I made sure to plan nothing for that day, obviously. Last fall something came up at the last minute that stopped me from participating, which was super annoying. So I told a few people that I was doing it this year and wouldn't be available. The thing is, with most of the people I know, saying I'm unavailable because I'll be in my house reading for 24 hours is not an acceptable excuse. So to cull accusations of "ditching" and "being anti-social", I just decided to make up a big old lie because apparently I am not above lying to my friends for the purposes of being alone. Anti-social, what?

Anyway my lie is that I'm going to D.C. for the weekend. Living in New York, it's a short and inexpensive bus ride with the benefit that nobody I know here knows anybody I know there. Oh and as far as they know I'm leaving tonight so nobody expects me to go out because I don't want to be tired tomorrow. And it also will allow me to sleep all day Sunday. DON'T TELL!

I should let it be known that I'm not lying to my advanced friends, just some of the peripheral ones.

In terms of provisions, I have a whole bunch of tea and that is all. I believe there is some old guacamole in my fridge as well. I'm afraid to look at it. So I go grocery shopping tonight.

Books? The only thing I know is that I'm going to intersperse shorter novels with parts of things I'm currently in the middle of such as a book or two from the Iliad or a couple chapters of my philosophy book. In the interest of not spending infinity dollars, I allowed myself only one new book for the 'Thon: The Lost Books of the Odyssey by Zachary Mason. So I'll probably start with that. The rest of the material will have to come from my extensive TBR pile, which is crammed into my bedroom closet until I get permanent shelves installed in my apartment. (This is going to be a total home-improvement summer, P.S., so you should all be excited for me.)

So that's it! Tea and a book and a dastardly lie. See you guys at the Lincoln Memorial! *wink, wink*

4 comments:

  1. Me too. If not, my backup plan of turning off my cell phone should take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your plan. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever plan! :)

    Great blog, btw! You just got yourself a new follower! Readathon should be a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails