Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wondrous Word Wednesday

Hosted by Bermuda Onion, the point of this meme is to share all the new words you came across this week. Yay!

vocabulary

From Piercing by Ryu Murakami:

potage -- a thick, often creamy, soup

I'm thinking I'll use a package of cream consommé. Knorr makes a good one, but on a cold night like this, when you feel chilled to the bone, potage is better than consommé, don't you think?

And from 1001 Nights of Snowfall:

suzerain -- a nation that controls another nation in international affairs but allows it domestic sovereignty

satrapy -- the territory or sphere under the rule of a satrap... a satrap being the governor of a province in ancient Persia

Now Snow was a proper woman of demure manners and bridled inwardly at such public declarations from a stranger, even one whose suzerain encompassed thrice three times three dozen kingdoms, city states, and satrapies.

Also, I've been reading some of the original X-Men comic books... I dunno why. Yes I do, they're awful and corny and I love them, that's why. Anyway, From X-Men #17:

mellifluous -- having a smooth, rich flow

perspicacious -- having keen mental perception and understanding

Marvel Girl: Honestly, Hank! Can't you ever speak like any ordinary, normal human being?
Beast: I do, Jeanie! It's just that I employ mellifluous adjectives to do it!
Marvel Girl: Oh, you're just impossible!
Beast: Very perspicacious of you, wench! And therein lies my charm!

Haha, wench! Why are half the quotes I use in this blog so misogynist? In the next panel he says "Prattle away then, female!"

Silly Beast.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I think it's fantastic that you found some new words in comic books! I'm sure I've seen potage before but I must not have ever looked it up because I had no idea it meant a thick soup. I do make potage from time to time in the winter! Thanks for participating today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found some great words in your reading. I never thought to look for new words in comic books - but why not?

    This is my first visit to your blog. I've just finished reading the whole thing and I like it. I like your light-hearted approach to the world. Also, I like your Adobe created icons. Fun. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bermudaonion -- You mean you made something without knowing every possible synonym??? What kind of chef are you!? :-)

    Margot -- Hi! I'm flattered you enjoy my... worldview and stupid little pictures. I look forward to seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails